Get professional help says Fire and Rescue NSW

Fire and Rescue NSW

Fire and Rescue NSW are warning residents with solar panels to remain observant and take steps to protect their homes after a series of solar panel fires recently.

Solar panels were found to be the cause of four fires in one week. Both Fair Trading NSW and FRNSW are urging residents to ensure that solar panel systems are installed by qualified and licenced professionals.

The first of the four fires was at a home in Lalor Park, where the isolating switch for the solar panels was found to have failed.

A home in Pennant Hills saw solar panels catch alight and FRNSW firefighters arrived to find a smouldering fire. Solar panels at a school in Parramatta also caused a fire on the roof due to a failure in the isolating switch.

Another occurred in Maryland, near Newcastle, due to a short-circuiting of a solar power box, resulting in smoke omitting from the box.

Fire incidents related to solar panels are up by more than 20 per cent from this time last year, with solar isolation switches causing almost half of all solar panel-related fires.

Commissioner for Fair Trading, Rose Webb said it is vital to ensure solar panel systems are installed by a professional.

“If you’re considering installing solar panels at your property, any system you install needs to comply with Australian standards.

“It’s also essential that you use a contractor that’s qualified to do the installation and wiring, so it’s always a good idea to do a licence check with NSW Fair Trading before any work takes place” she said.

Superintendent Graham Kingsland from the Fire Investigation and Research Unit spoke to the importance of taking steps to ensure solar panels are as safe as possible.

“Over the last five years we have seen solar panel related fires increase five-fold, it is not uncommon to see solar panels cause house and building fires. By ensuring solar panels are installed by a licensed installer, and are well maintained by a professional, you can prevent a tragedy” he said.

Back to the homepage