The Hills Shire Council will create two new dog off-leash areas for residents and their pet pooches to enjoy. One of the new off-leash areas will be located at Indwarra Avenue Reserve in North Kellyville and the other at Colbarra Reserve, in West Pennant Hills.
Hills Shire Mayor Michelle Byrne said with dog ownership growing in the Hills it was a great time to create new places to go.
“We saw a 26 per cent increase in the number of residents owning dogs [in the last financial year], prompting a need for more of these facilities, which provide a place to exercise, socialise and enjoy the great outdoors,” she said.
Now that Council has confirmed the selected sites, the designs for each of the dog off-leash areas will be completed, enabling the projects to be included in the 2022/23 Capital Works Program or to potentially be funded earlier through government grant programs that may become available during the current financial year.
Currently, there are 7 off-leash areas for dogs and their owners in The Hills LGA.
• Balcombe Heights Reserve Seven Hills Road, Baulkham Hills (within the fenced area)
• Bernie Mullane Sports Complex, Marella Ave, Kellyville (within the fenced area) •• Connie Lowe Reserve Adelphi Street, Rouse Hill (within the fenced area)
• Coolong Reserve, Coolong Street, Castle Hill (within the fenced area)
• Crestwood Reserve, Peel Road, Baulkham Hills (within the fenced area)
• Castle Hill Showground – please note lower dog arenas to be generally off-leash for all puppies at all times. However when formal training or competitions organised by Clubs or Associations are taking place, only participating puppies may be off-leash
• Rutherford Avenue Reserve, Rutherford Avenue, North Kellyville (within the fenced area) In Hawkesbury LGA there are four off-leash park areas for dogs.
• Pool Park, corner of Ham and Cox Streets South Windsor – (a fenced area)
• Peel Park, Arthur Phillip Drive North Richmond (fenced area)
• Yarramundi Reserve, Springwood Road Agnes Banks (not fenced)
• Pound Paddock, – corner of Blacktown and Bourke Street, Richmond (small area fenced area).
If you have a favourite dog park we would love to hear which one. Email [email protected] hillstohawkesbury.com.au