The Federal Member for Mitchell, the Hon Alex Hawke MP, encourages young local athletes to apply for Round 3, 2016-17 of the Local Sporting Champions program.
The Local Sporting Champions program is designed to support young people participating in state, national and international level sporting championships as an athlete, coach or official.
“The Hills district has produced some outstanding sportspeople over the years and it is important that we support the next generation of Australian sporting champions, said Alex Hawke.
“Since 2008, the Mitchell Local Sporting Grants have been allocated to over 200 successful recipients across a variety of sports, including AFL, swimming, Judo and Rugby League. It would be great to have a broader range of sports, including cricket, netball, or hockey, represented in this next round.
“Applications for grants can be made to the Australian Sports Commission online at www. alexhawke.com.au (click on the Local Sporting Champions icon). Successful applicants will be determined by a local sports panel from the Hills district.
A grant of $500 per individual is available to help meet costs such as travel, equipment, uniforms and accommodation.
In order to be eligible to receive a Local Sporting Champions grant applicants must:
• be aged 12 to 18 years (inclusive);
• be required to travel a return distance of 250 kilometres or more;
• be an Australian citizen; and
• be participating in an official national sporting organisation (NSO) endorsed state or national sporting competition, or national school sporting competition.
• Must complete and submit application to the ASC prior to the nominated championship commencing.
“These grants help families in alleviating some of the costs for their child to compete at an elite level in their chosen sport” Mr Hawke concluded.