When it comes to storm damage, Baulkham Hills and Castle Hill are in the top 10 according to data just released by Suncorp Insurance.
The company analysed more than 32,000 weather-related home insurance claims across NSW from 1st July 2021 to 30th June 2022, to reveal the hardest hit suburbs.
While Boambee East on the Mid North Coast grabbed top spot, followed by Armidale on the Northern Tablelands, the two Hills suburbs came in at numbers 6 and 7.
Suncorp Insurance EGM Home Claims, Alli Smith said the figures are a stark reminder of the difficult year NSW residents have had weather-wise and should be viewed as a reminder that the warmer weather can bring sudden storms, cyclones and heavy rains that can lead to floods.
“Our data shows that no one region is more prone to significant weather events – with our top ten storm- battered suburbs coming from four different regions – once again highlighting that severe storms can strike anywhere.
“We’ve released this list of storm-battered suburbs to remind residents across NSW that the impact of storms and significant weather events on property can be severe, and highlight the importance of ensuring you have done everything you can to strengthen your home’s resilience against the effects of Mother Nature,” she said.
New research by Suncorp Insurance found that while 90 per cent of NSW residents admit to knowing at least one activity that should be completed prior to storm season, more than a quarter (26 per cent) admit to doing nothing to prepare.
“New South Wales residents know the messages around preparing for storm season,” she said.
“But unfortunately knowing the messages and actually doing something to better prepare and protect your home are two separate things, and many people in NSW are failing to actually complete the often quick-andeasy tasks.”
Cleaning/ installing gutters or downpipes
• Have the roof inspected for storm damaged or loose tiles
• Repair any broken sealant around windowsills to make them watertight
• Inspecting retaining walls
• Fix any corrosion, loose fittings, and rotting or termite infected timber
• Installing fixed, operable high performance mesh screens on doors and windows.
Top 10 storm hotspots in NSW (1st July 2021 to 30th June 2022)
- Boambee East Mid North Coast
- Armidale Northern Tablelands
- Toormina Mid North Coast
- Coffs Harbour Mid North Coast
- Mosman Sydney Metro North East
- Baulkham Hills Sydney Metro North East
- Castle Hill Sydney Metro North East
- Mullumbimby Northern Rivers
- West Ballina Northern Rivers
- Cranebrook Greater Western Sydney