The ideal quick Tomato Basil Sauce recipe (from Panetta Mercato – Baulkham Hills)
• 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra
• 400 g lean pork mince
• 1 onion, finely grated
• 3 tbsp breadcrumbs
• 1 tsp fennel seeds
• 1 egg
• 2 tbsp grated parmesan
• 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
• 1 brown onion, finely chopped
• 2 cups water
• 2 cups (500 ml) purèed tomatoes or passata
• sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
• handful basil leaves
1. Use clean hands to mix all the meatball ingredients together in a bowl with a few good pinches of salt and pepper. Lightly oil your hands to prevent sticking, then roll the mixture into golf ball-sized meatballs. Place on the prepared tray, cover and place in the refrigerator for about 1 hour.
2. Heat the olive oil in a large non-stick frying pan over a medium–high heat and fry the meatballs for 3–5 minutes, or until lightly golden. Remove and set aside.
3. To make the sauce, heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat and sauté the onion until softened and translucent. Season with salt and pepper. Add the tomato puree or passata. Add the basil leaves. Simmer for 5 minutes, then carefully add the meatballs and simmer for 20 minutes more.
4. Garnish the polpette with extra basil and parmesan. Serve with a salad.