AllHawkesburyHills Shire Council

$75.5 Million Boundary Road Upgrade to proceed to design phase

Box Hill’s Boundary Road will now progress to the design phase after Hills Councillors voted unanimously at the Council Meeting last Tuesday.

Mayors Peter Gangemi And Sarah Mcmahon At The Intersection Of Boundary Road And Brocklebank Street
Mayor of the hills shire dr peter gangemi pictured with mayor of hawkesbury city council sarah mcmahon at the intersection of boundary road and brocklebank street, box hill © hills shire council

The upgrade for the Boundary Road in Hills Shire’s Box Hill is now on its way, according to the Hills Shire Council on 14th September 2023.

Hills Shire Council unanimously voted to begin the detailed design phase for Boundary Road’s $75.5 million transformation at a meeting on Tuesday, 12th September.

The rural thoroughfare on The Hills Shire and Hawkesbury border will be upgraded to a four-lane major collector road between Windsdor and Old Pitt Town Roads. Four intersections will get roundabouts or traffic signals for better traffic flow and safety.

The Hills Shire Council will commit 70% in design costs, with the Hawkesbury City Council contributing to the remaining 30%, which was decided as part of discussions in the Boundary Road Technical Working Group, chaired by the Department of Planning and Environment’s Planning Delivery Unit (PDU).

The detailed design will include plans for the following:

  • the upgrade of Boundary Road to four lanes between Windsor Road and Old Pitt Town Road
  • the construction of the Boundary Road bridge over the Killarney Chain of Ponds
  • traffic signals at the intersection of Boundary Road, Commercial Road and Brocklebank Street
  • construction of a roundabout at the intersection of Boundary Road, Harkness Road and Brahman Road
  • traffic signals at the intersection of Boundary Road, Menin Road and George Street and
  • traffic signals at the intersection of Boundary Road and Old Pitt Town Road.

The total project cost will be partially funded using the combined $9.2 million both councils received under the NSW Government’s Accelerated Infrastructure Fund (AIF).

The AIF funding will be used to bring forward the first stage of construction, which includes new traffic lights at the intersection of Commercial Road, Brocklebank Street and Boundary Road and the Boundary Road bridge over Killarney Chain of Ponds Creek.

Mayor of The Hills Shire, Dr Peter Gangemi, said he was looking forward to the completion of the project.

“Boundary Road connects our two great communities, and the roadway will further grow in importance as more families choose to live in the area,” Mayor Gangemi said.

“This is an essential upgrade that will service our existing and future population.

“It’s vital that our infrastructure caters for our population growth in Box Hill and Gables and enables safe travel for commuters.”

Mayor of Hawkesbury City Council Sarah McMahon said reliable roads were one of the top priorities for local residents.

“We are proud to partner with The Hills Shire to deliver this critical upgrade to Boundary Road,” Mayor McMahon said.

“Both councils are committed to getting on with the job of delivering a robust road network for our communities and Boundary Road will serve as a perfect example of how great outcomes are achieved when we work together.

“Boundary Road is an important link for thousands of residents across both local government areas, and its role will only grow in the coming years.”

 “I want to thank Hawkesbury City Council and the NSW Government for their ongoing support in fast-tracking the upgrade of Boundary Road”, Mayor Gangemi added.

Related Articles

Back to top button