In 1823, free settler George Acres (c1781-1835) was granted 500 acres of land (about 200 hectares) which had formerly been the northern part of John & Elizabeth Macarthur’s Seven Hills Farm.
George and his wife Isabella (c1800-1866) had arrived in NSW on board the “Royal George” in May 1821.
They had 3 daughters and an only son, Edward Harte Acres (1829-1892) who inherited “Heywood” and, like his neighbours, farmed citrus fruit on the property. In 1870 he married Georgina Pennington Champain, the 3rd daughter of Capt. Gilbert Champain (of HM 5th Fusileers).
Edward and Georgina’s story is yet another tragic tale of infant mortality with 4 of their sons dying between 1876 and 1881 – Leslie (d1876 aged 2y4m); Walter (d1878 aged 2y3m); Athol (d1881 aged 1y7m) and Arthur (d1881 aged 10 days).
The boys are buried alongside each other in neighbouring graves in the Old Castle Hill Cemetery, which is hidden behind the Christadelphian Hall at 245 Old Northern Rd, Castle Hill. The Acres family had the spire added to the old St. Paul’s Church in 1883 in memory of their 4 boys.
In 1951 “Heywood” and 214 acres of the property were purchased by the Castle Hill Country Club. From that time the house underwent extensive modifications and served as the club house until it was demolished in 1990.[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row]