I am delighted that the Federal Government has provided $2.7 million to fully fund building a new Community Sports House at Greenway Park. The new club house will provide female change rooms, shade for spectators, improved disability access, an all-purpose facility for club gatherings and a surface upgrade to the top oval.
This is a fantastic result for our community. Greenway Park is home to seven fantastic local grassroots clubs, 2,700 players and more than 8,000 supporters. The community have been calling for upgraded facilities for several years and I am very pleased to be able to deliver this funding for the upgrade project.
Greenway Park has been home to many Australian champions over the years, including Michelle Jenneke, Kieren Jack and Mark Taylor. These new facilities will see our local clubs provide the training grounds and strong club support that will develop the Australian champions of the future.
The Budget delivered several initiatives that will benefit Berowra, including:
• Immediate tax relief for low and middle income earners
• Extension of the instant asset write-off for small business
• $5 million to complete the Federal Government’s $412.3 million funding of NorthConnex
• $1.0 million in Roads to Recovery projects to improve local roads
• Continued funding of the Stronger Communities Program that delivers infrastructure upgrades to local community groups
• Free whooping cough vaccines for every pregnant woman
The Budget also included increased funding of $338.1 million in mental health services to support suicide prevention, research and older Australians. I have personally worked with some of the organisations being funded, including Lifeline, beyondblue and SANE Australia, and can vouch for the impact their programs will have. I am particularly pleased with the Government’s focus on supporting older Australians. The way we value the lives of older people speaks volumes about our values as a society.