Medieval knights will take over Hawkesbury Showground on July 6 and 7 when Winterfest Sydney Medieval Fair sets in.
All the excitement of Game of Thrones and Lord of the Rings will come to life during a weekend of history and fantasy as knights, Vikings, peasants, unicorns and orcs take over the ground.
Winterfest, one of the longest-running annual medieval fairs in the Sydney metro region, features a huge family-friendly program of activities.
One of the highlights will be when the best contact fighters from Australia, New Zealand, and China will compete in the Historical Medieval Battles (HMB) tournament for selection to represent their country in the Battle of the Nations World Championships.
FAMILY FUN There will be roaming entertainers including musicians and minstrels, wandering jester plus face-painting for the children.
Try helmets, armour, shields and weapons at Re-enactor’s Row while friendly re-enactors from the dark ages through to the 17th century share their knowledge about the people and period they are re-enacting.
Hands-on activities include a traditional archery range, Celtic drumming workshops, and the chance to learn to use a rapier.
As well as having a photo with a Winterfest unicorn, children can see mythical mermaids in the Kids’ Corner and practice their skills with (safe) swords and get creative with medieval themed drawing, colouring and crafts.
For the adults there is Artisan Alley and Merchant’s Row with educational and interactive displays of traditional skills, and a vibrant range of artisan and handcrafted wares.
JOUSTING AND MORE
• The exciting Winterfest Jousting Tournament: see the face-off between champions in the sport of kings
• International Full Contact Fighting: The best from Australia, New Zealand, and China compete in the Historical Medieval Battles (HMB) tournament for selection to represent their country in the Battle of the Nations World Championships!
• The Full Flight Birds of Prey display will see graceful and powerful raptors fly.
• Watch the groups battle for supremacy in the Combat and Arms display, which concludes with the Grand Melee with knights in armour from a range of historical periods.
• The Mounted Skill-at-Arms, will demonstrate the skills required for knights in training and for battle.
• Watch and learn at the Raptor show as graceful and powerful raptors fly free.
Organisers are inviting visitors to get into the festival spirit by dressing up for the occasion. The Winterfest Costume and Cosplay competition is always popular.
While there is a parade there will also be on-the-spot prize. Winterfest ticks a lot of magical boxes as a school holiday activity for the whole family.
For more information about Winterfest, visit winterfest.com.au