TABITHA PONNAMBALAM - INDEPENDENT CANDIDATE FOR RIVERSTONE
SEND A MESSAGE TO THE MAJOR PARTIES THAT YOU ARE UNHAPPY WITH THEM:
- Electricity: Both Liberal and Labor parties have enabled power companies to rip us off by privatising the electricity network. Labor privatised the power generation network and the Liberal party sold off the poles and wires, leaving NSW residents at the mercy of the power companies.
- Tolls: NSW residents have spent $835 million on tolls in six months. The Liberal government has privatised all the major roads costing us billions a year in tolls. The Liberal government has privatised all the major roads costing us billions a year in tolls. It is another form of taxation.
- Housing: Lack of government investment has made housing very expensive and increased homelessness, especially among the young and older women. We urgently need more investment into affordable housing. Housing is a human right and the lack of affordable housing should not be tolerated by the people of NSW.
- TAFE: The skills sector has been seriously damaged by the cuts to TAFE by the Liberal government over the last 12 years.
- Annual Property Tax: Dominic Perrottet’s annual property tax will in the long term be much more expensive than the one off stamp duty payable when you purchase a property. Do not let him mislead you into believing that it’s a cheaper option.
- Climate change: This issue must be addressed urgently, it has been neglected for too long with serious consequences. One of the day to day issues caused by this neglect is that soon we will not be able to afford the increase in insurance premiums caused by climate disasters.
AS YOUR ELECTED REPRESENTATIVE I WILL WORK TIRELESSLY TO ADVOCATE FOR YOUR INTERESTS
I am a long term resident in the Blacktown LGA and have lived in Australia since 1990. I was born in Sri Lanka, grew up in Zambia where I finished my High School and Tertiary education, and completed my post graduate studies in the USA. I have been admitted to practise as a Solicitor in Sydney since 1996.
I have volunteered at the Mount Druitt Community Legal Centre and been its Principal Solicitor. I have served on the Management Committee of the Immigrant Women’s Speak Out, an advocacy group for migrant women.