The NSW Government has established an independent flood inquiry to examine and report on the causes of, preparedness for, response to and recovery from the 2022 catastrophic flood event.
The NSW Flood Inquiry will host a virtual community meeting for the Hawkesbury-Nepean on Thursday, 16 June 2022 as part of its ongoing work to hear from communities impacted by the March 2022 floods.
Any member of the public is welcome to share their views and to listen.
The Hawkesbury-Nepean meeting will be held Thursday, 16 June 2022
Virtual community meeting from 5:30pm to 7:30pm
Includes Picton, Oakville, Richmond, McGrath’s Hill, Pitt Town, Mulgrave, Windsor
It is recommended that members of the public register their attendance for the virtual meeting
Register here launch
A link to view the meeting will also be uploaded at www.nsw.gov.au/nsw-government/projects-and- initiatives/floodinquiry/flood-inquiry-community-meetings#toc-hawkesbury-nepean-thursday-16-june-2022 at 4:30pm on Thursday 16 June.
Professor Mary O’Kane AC and Michael Fuller APM have been engaged to lead the Inquiry.
The Inquiry will report on:
- the causes of and factors contributing to the frequency, intensity, timing and location of floods
- preparation and planning by agencies and the community for floods in NSW
- responses to floods, particularly measures to protect life, property and the environment
- the transition from incident response to recovery
- recovery, including housing, clean-up, financial support, community engagement and longer-term community rebuilding.
The Inquiry will consider and, if thought fit, make recommendations on a range of matters, including:
- the safety of emergency services and community first responders;
- current and future land use planning and management and building standards in flood prone locations across NSW;
- appropriate action to adapt to future flood risks to communities and ecosystems;
- coordination and collaboration between all levels of government.
The Inquiry is required to report to the Premier on causation, land use planning and management and related matters by 30 June 2022 and on all other matters by 30 September 2022.