Are you planning a backyard BBQ over the summer holidays? The backyard barbie can be a common cause of fires and injury during summer.
Keep barbecue clean and ensure all gas hoses and connections are tight with no leakage. Fire & Rescue NSW have provided the following advice:
- Check gas cylinder and hoses for leaks by brushing or spraying with soapy water.
- There should be an adult in charge of a lit barbecue at all times.
- After using your barbecue, remove all excess fat so it doesn’t become a fire hazard.
- Check the expiry date before using a gas cylinder. Dispose of old and unwanted gas cylinders safely. Contact your local council for more information.
- Liquid Petroleum Gas (LPG) can be extremely dangerous if stored or used incorrectly.
- Before lighting the BBQ, check your local fire danger rating, there may be a Total Fire Ban https://www.rfs.nsw.gov.au/fire-information/fdr-and-tobans
Source: The Hills Shire Council