Hawkesbury City Council is proud to announce the Hawkesbury Australia Day Winners for 2022. Australia Day presentations were a little different this year with recipients being delivered their awards – a civic reception is planned to be held for winners and nominators at a later date.
The Hawkesbury Australia Day awards are an integral part of Australia Day, recognising and honouring the outstanding achievements of everyday Australians in Hawkesbury.
The Mayor of Hawkesbury, Councillor Patrick Conolly, recently re-elected on 11 January, congratulated all award recipients, including the 2022 Citizen of the Year – Diane Williams; 2022 Young Citizen of the Year – Sophie Wills; and Community Organisation of the Year – Hawkesbury State Emergency Services.
“Congratulations and thank you for the many wonderful contributions you have made to our Hawkesbury community,” the Mayor said.
“Our SES volunteers worked fearlessly during and after the March 2021 flood event, and they are always on hand, day or night to help and support our community whether it is during fire, floods, storms or other emergencies. We thank you all.”
“Thank you also to Akash Arora – Digital Editor/Journalist at Special Broadcasting Service (SBS) Australia, for being our 2022 Hawkesbury Australia Day Ambassador.”
2022 HAWKESBURY AUSTRALIA DAY AWARD RECIPIENTS
• DIANE WILLIAMS – Citizen of the Year – Commitment to Girl Guides
• SOPHIE WILLS – Young Citizen of the Year – Defibrillator installation program
• ANNE ROBBIE – Volunteer of the Year – Rescues, rehabilitates cats and Animal Shelter volunteer
• PENNY MCKINLAY – Local Hero Award – Member RFS, BRAG, Mountain of Joy
• MICHAEL PAYNE – Sports Person of the Year – Commitment to Swimming
• LILLIAN PAGE – Junior Sports Person of the Year – Commitment to Athletics
• PHILLIP ROUTLEY – Community Arts Award – Commitment to arts and music in the
• NSW STATE EMERGENCY SERVICES HAWKESBURY – Community Organisation of the Year –
Volunteer work during the 2021 floods
To see and hear from our winners, see the special video of the award winners on Council’s YouTube channel youtube.com/c/HawkesburyCityCouncil
The Hawkesbury will also welcome 36 new citizens from a range of countries, Philippines, India, Fiji, South Korea, Vietnam, the United Kingdom, the Republic of Ireland, the United States of America, Canada, France, New Zealand, Germany, South Africa, Jersey, Indonesia, Northern Ireland, Malta, New Zealand, Morocco, Ukraine and Colombia as part of Australia Day.
The Australia Day Citizenship Ceremonies will be held online today to ensure that family and friends can participate in and watch the ceremonies from the comfort of their homes in a COVID-Safe way.
“Congratulations to all of the Australia Day citizenship candidates on becoming Australian citizens.”
~ Mayor Conolly